Sunday, June 05, 2005

i (heart) NYC

so, even though i couldnt bring myself to but one of the crappy tourist shirts to walk around in and proclaim it to the world-i do, in fact, love the city. i had an amazing time there. i have heard my entire life that new york is dirty, rude people, dangerous, ect. well, not the one i saw. i experienced a city with heart and soul. the energy there is incredible-its so alive! whereas, vegas mostly feels like a retired hooker with a drinking problem and an oxygen tank.
i got to see a lot of people from the tour i was on, they are all dancers and most of them live there. it was cool. whats funny is most people cant grasp the concept when you say you have never been to the city. they say, "oh okay" but they dont get it. i have to elaborate-"i have never, not once, in my life...been here, ever."
then-shock and confusion. "never?" "no, not once-ever."
for new yorkers there is no other city.
so for my first big day, i put my boots on and pounded the pavement for four hours. i walk really fast so i kind of fit in. until that is, i went up to a doorman at the chrysler building and asked if i was at the empire state building. the look he gave me withered me-contempt and pity! i felt like i had just used the wrong fork at a fancy dinner. it was a great day though. the next day, however i realized my folly of wearing the cowboy boots. my feet hurt like something was broken-literally. i felt hobbled! i limped for the next four days and in fact over a week later-they still hurt! i got to spend the day with trevor and we saw a play together. in fact-i saw three shows while i was there. i rode the staten island ferry and as it was returning to the island and we passed the statue of liberty all i could think about was the countless immigrants who streamed into that port, including my dutch ancestors. i never knew that it was the dutch who first came and settled the island as new amsterdam to be a trading and shipping port. the whole thing was kind of awing. it does feel semi-good to be home. my city might be a drunk whore with no heart, but she's mine.

3 Comments:

Blogger Queenie said...

I am on my way....

Q

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi... I came here by chance and your last post "if i die tonight" caught my attention. I think it's fantastic... well not the fact that you thought you were going to die but the way the all thing is written. It's a great text. Sometimes i deal with that kind of thought, but i try to take it out of my head... Well, that's it really: just wanted to say that i liked the text.
C U
Kiss
Fi

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The city loved you too. It is softly saying "hobble back to me..."
*grin*

Ps.. Trevor gets a shout out and I don't???

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home